Is Street Disciple underrated?

Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Seemed like everyone loved it when it first came out. Now all the Nas "haters" point it out as evidence he has fallen off. I think it was his best lyrical album since I Am....

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

blazn wrote:
    i thinks if it had been made into one CD it would have been great..
    i don't think it was a bad album
    a lot of songs seem like they were put in the wrong spot to me..

easily the worst track transition ever. Me & You -> Thief's Theme wtf lol

he is on point with flow/lyrics throughout the album though. I like it personally but the downfall is nothing really stands out

2. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I was fairly disappointed with Streets Disciple. After 3 classics in a row (Stillmatic, The Lost Tapes, God's Son) and an amazing single (Thief's Theme), the album was pretty subpar. If the whole album had been done in the vein of Thief's Theme then it would have been something special to behold. Serious ft. Az was left off and that was a huge mistake, seeing as how that track was phenomenal. Other than that the album wasn't all bad. War, Nazareth Savage, Streets Disciple and some other tracks were very good, but not enough to pull the whole album up.

By NAS' standards it was a weak album, but compared to other artists' LPs I have to say it was really good.

3. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I think he should of left some songs out of it. if it was a single cd instead of double cd. the album would been a classic. he has real good songs but some weak ones. thats the problem when u make a double cd. same thing went with Jayz double album. but if u want to be with teh greats u need to do it. Biggie did it, 2pac also.

4. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I've said it before and will again...the biggest problem on SD was sequencing. It just makes it had to listen to, Nas had all the gems to make a classic but for one reason or the other some just didn't make the cut. the track-list should have been more like this

A Message to the Feds, Sincerely, We the People
    Nazareth Savage
    Suicide Bounce
    Street's Disciple
    Thief's Theme
    Foul Breeze
    Serious
    Sekou Story
    Live Now
    Just a Moment
    Reason" (feat. Emily)
    *U.B.R." (Unauthorized Biography of Rakim

Disc 2
    Good Morning
    Talk of New York
    You Know My Style
    Virgo
    Play on playa
    Bridging the Gap
    Music is for life
    No One Else in the Room
    Remember the Times
    Getting Married
    War
    *Rest of My Life

the snippet of I am Somebody seem good imo, still waiting to hear if the world was mine,bachelor party, sun factor,Get up and the fear(providing it's not the same as "fear of a black man dick")

5. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I like that track listing poet. Makes sense. Got them clumped up according to vibe. I have to try that sequencing and see if it makes for a less jarring listen - bet it works beautifully. The placement of some of the best songs and singles towards the end of each disc, or even as bonus tracks, always confused me.

I've always called SD "the best album you never listen to". I agree that it has all the right jams on there. I did like the energy of the original version of Disciple and I guess the extra Nas verse on the video version of Just a Moment is alright.

But the thing I always wondered about was his intentions for Scarlet. Was Nas hoping we wouldn't know it was him rhyming right away? Then a little buzz would build on this mysterious new female emcee. He could do a couple features as her on other records. And then, eventually, he could come out from behind the curtain and reveal himself as the Wizard.

If those Scarlet tracks were intended to be creative experiments in hip-hop, in the same vein as I Give You Power, Undying Love, Fetus, Rewind, and (the failed?) Who Killed It, then why name his rhyming persona in those SD tracks? "She" is listed as the featured artist. I wonder if she got feature money?

Anyway, I'd love to ask him questions about his intentions with those two very interesting tracks.

SD though. Best album you don't listen to.

6. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I thought Streets Disciple was oOk... but now I see why.
    My double CD was missing Foul Breeze, Serious, Good Morning, Talk of NY, and Play on Playa! Thas some bs.

7. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Anybody ever wonder abt the track Sekou Story, and what the purpose for it on the album was? When I listen to it I always wonder if it's a true story wit a hidden message or jst some ill story telling. Somethin abt that track brings Biggie, Lil Kim, and Junior Mafia to mind.

8. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I definitely don't like Street's Disciple. I mean, beats aren't the most important thing to me, but the majority of the beats on this album are just horrible. So yeah, very few standout tracks, and Nas's delivery lacked energy and he didn't come off as enthusiastic or what have you. I think this album had a serious lack of charisma.

9. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I like it, but it's still low on my list though. Like other people said, the sequencing is all fucked up lol. Some tracks I really enjoy (Bridging the Gap, Street's Disciple, Thief's Theme, Virgo, Suicide Bounce). I disagree though that it's his most lyrical album since I Am, that goes to Stillmatic. It's underrated in a sense that it's like Nas "forgotten album" meaning it rarely get brought up in discussing his albums though.

10. Re: Is Street Disciple underrated?

Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Could have been considered great if it was condensed to one disc!
    Money!